This error that comes about in Photoshop usually takes place when you are short of space on your hard disk. This causes Photoshop not to save its files on your computer. When this error pops up, the two things that happen with Photoshop is that either it manages to crash or it doesn’t load further at all.
A problem arising doesn’t mean that it cannot be fixed because like every other problem for your PC, we have brought a solution for this issue as well. There are a number of things that you can do to fix the “scratch disks are full” issue that comes up on Photoshop. Here you can let Photoshop use more of your RAM or delete temporary files that will help you regain space on your computer back. If you are reading this article then surely you are a graphic designer and you should also read What is CorelDraw to learn more about graphic designing software.
We are going to talk about these solutions below so make sure to stay till the end if you want to know how to solve this issue.
Free Up Space
The root cause for this Photoshop error to show up is because your computer doesn’t have enough space on it. You will need to get rid of all junk files in your PC. If you do not have much space left in your hard disk then you can do adobe photoshop CS6 Free Download as it is the old version so it does not take much space while running. Once you manage to free up memory space you can then use this space to store the temporary files on your computer. Do this by following these steps:
- Open Settings
- Click System on the screen that shows up
- Select Storage to view the storage details of your computer
- You’ll see what is occupying your memory and that will help you decide what you will need to delete
Get Rid of Temporary Files
Photoshop creates and manages to store the temporary files on your storage. You can safely delete these files after you’ve managed to close Photoshop. This is a small effort on how you can manage to regain the memory on your computer which you’ve lost. To download every type of photoshop Getintopc is recommended website.
- Press the Windows + R keys at the same time to open Run, type the following into it, and press Enter
- When the temporary folder opens, find the files named Photoshop or PST
- Right-click those files and select Delete
- Right-click the Recycle Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycle Bin
- On Mac, use Spotlight to search for temporary files and delete them
Change Scratch Disk When Your System Starts Up
If on Photoshop you have multiple disk scratches assigned then you can go on and switch between them on the Startup menu of your Photoshop. The solution works perfectly well when Photoshop isn’t able to open due to the scratch disk issue.
- On Windows, launch Photoshop and press and hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys at the same time
- On Mac, open Photoshop and press and hold down the Command and Option keys simultaneously
- Select a new scratch disk from the Startup dropdown menu and click OK
Change Scratch Disk Drive
Photoshop only manages to use your operating system’s drive as its scratch disk. If you have several drives in your system then you can make Photoshop use them and avoid the scratch disk error whenever it pops up.
You will need to launch Photoshop on your computer and go on preferences after which you will choose performance. You will now enable and then disable scratch disks in the section of scratch disks.
Disable Auto Recovery Feature
Photoshop will automatically manage to save your files whenever you’re working on them but this is going to increase its memory usage on your computer. Go ahead and disable the auto-recovery feature if it manages to take up a lot of space on your system. This is another way on how more space is used on your PC.
You can disable this feature and make space on your scratch disk so that the scratch disk issue does not show up every now and then whenever you try to access Photoshop on your PC.
Hopefully after working these methods you will be able to clear the scratch disk feature on Photoshop!