The aerospace industry is one of the most fascinating and innovative industries in the world. What started as a small niche market has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry that touches virtually every aspect of our lives.
Here are 10 things you may not have known about this amazing industry!
1. The first powered flight was accomplished by the Wright brothers in 1903
In 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright became the first humans to achieve powered flight in their heavier-than-air machine, the Wright Flyer. This event is widely regarded as the beginning of the aerospace industry.
2. The aerospace industry employs over 1 million people in the United States alone
Aerospace is a booming industry, providing jobs for millions of people worldwide. There are countless opportunities in several branches of this industry, from manufacturing and engineering to marketing and sales.
3. The aerospace industry develops some of the most important technologies of our time
Aerospace technology has led to many important inventions and advances in other fields, such as medicine, transportation, and even home appliances. For example, MRI machines and guidance systems used in surgery were first developed for the aerospace industry.
4. Military Partners
The aerospace industry has a long history of collaboration with the military, resulting in many technological advances that have been used in both civilian and military applications. Such tech includes GPS systems, night vision technology, and even the internet.
5. The aerospace industry is a major contributor to the economy
The aerospace industry is truly a global enterprise, with companies and facilities located all around the world. The global aerospace industry was worth an estimated $838 billion in 2015, and is projected to grow to $945 billion by 2025. This growth is driven by increasing demand for air travel, new commercial aircraft, and rising global incomes.
The aerospace industry is a major contributor to the global economy
The aerospace industry is responsible for billions of dollars in economic output each year, and is a major contributor to global GDP. In fact, it is often referred to as one of the “four pillars” of the global economy.
Aerospace companies are also some of the biggest spenders on research and development, making significant contributions to the advancement of science and technology.
6. The aerospace industry is constantly evolving
The aerospace industry is constantly changing and growing, as new technologies are developed and new applications are found for existing technologies. This makes it an exciting and challenging field to work in, with plenty of opportunities for innovation.
7. The Space Shuttle and the International Space Station
The aerospace industry has been responsible for some of the most impressive and iconic structures ever built. The Space Shuttle, for example, is an amazing feat of engineering, while the International Space Station is a remarkable example of international cooperation.
8. Career Opportunities
The aerospace industry offers a wide range of career opportunities, from engineering to marketing to sales.
Here are just a few examples of the types of careers that are available in the aerospace industry:
- Aerospace engineer-Designs and tests aircraft, spacecraft, missiles, and satellites
- Aeronautical engineer-Designs and tests aircraft
- Aerospace technician-Assembles and tests aircraft, spacecraft, missiles, and satellites
- Aircraft mechanic-Maintains and repairs aircraft
- Flight attendant-Provides customer service and oversees safety on board an aircraft
- Pilot-Operates an aircraft
- Air traffic controller-Directs aircraft traffic
9. The aerospace industry is heavily regulated
The aerospace industry is subject to stringent regulation, both from national governments and international organizations. This is necessary to ensure the safety of passengers and crew, as well as to protect the environment. Regulations can be complex and can change rapidly, so those working in the aerospace industry need to be aware of them and comply with them.
10. The future of the aerospace industry is bright
The aerospace industry is constantly evolving, with new technologies and applications being developed all the time. This means that there are plenty of opportunities for career growth and advancement in this field. Needless to say, the future of the aerospace industry is looking very bright.
The aerospace industry is a fascinating and important sector of the global economy, with a rich history and a bright future. Those working in this field can expect to be challenged and rewarded by a career in aerospace.
Thanks for reading!